[Diy_efi] Basic exhaust KE question

Marc Reviel marc at powerlogix.com
Thu Oct 10 14:00:48 GMT 2002

 We have an experimental project involving turbos.  One topology has them
located up "close" at the end of the headers/collectors (as they normally
should be).  Another topology has them located 6 more feet down from the
collector.
 The question (and concern obviously) is the negative effect of this
added segment length.  We know it is going to hurt efficiency, but were
not sure not the potential severity. We thought by keeping the collector
smaller than usual and uniform all the way to the turbo and wrapping the
segment with ThermalTec (or equiv), the effect would be minimized, thus
preserving as much as possible the kinetic energy of the exhaust.  (The 6
ft segment is perfectly straight; no bends.)
 We'll probably build it both ways, but wanted check with the crew here
on their opinions/experiences/predictions on this.  Any existing
empirical data out there on EGT drop over longer than typical sections
like this?
 And if there is any interest, I'll certainly post our EGT measurements
from it.

Marc J. Reviel
Director of Engineering
PowerLogix R&D, Inc.