[Diy_efi] Intake pipe sizing

Eric Fahlgren eric.fahlgren at mscsoftware.com
Fri Oct 18 17:25:51 GMT 2002

Grant Beaty wrote:

> Is there any point to having an intake pipe larger than the turbo's inducer?
> My intake pipe is 3", my T66 has a 2.6" inducer, and I am trying to minimize
> the vacuum in the pipe.

Yes, the intake flow is usually in a high Reynolds number region,
so there is every reason to make the pipe before the turbo as big
as possible (after the turbo you've got other considerations, too).

Here's a quick little javascript that might shed some light (read
the page source for equations and such):

   http://not2fast.gotdns.com/turbo/velocity.html