[Diy_efi] What is stoichometric....really?

Phil Lamovie phil at injec.com
Wed Oct 23 18:13:46 GMT 2002

Derek wrote...

> Someone on another forum suggested that the actual NOx gases can
cause engine
> damage over time. There any truth to this? Because I have the power
to run at
> any AFR I like, and would like to start using 1.1 under light load
conditions if
> it really is more efficient as you state, and doesn't cause any
harm.

Best thing to do in this case is to get an explanation from the
person making the claim. It is much easier to check the physics
or chemistry than it is to simply say "not true"

The parts of the engine that are exposed to NOX are the pistons
and rings, the head and the valves (and the guides) and the
exhaust system.

There of course would be some NOX in the sump as a result of blow by
and thus it would over time come into contact with the lubrication
system.
Therefore it has the capacity to "touch" almost every component of the
engine.

>From the other end of the scale, I know of no "known" issues.

Perhaps it's a fuel additive issue or something of that nature.

The warranties on new lean burn engines is around 150,000 kms
these days so my suspicions as to the extent of possible damage
is low.

HTH

phil