[Diy_efi] Newbie with a simplified Motronic project

Eric D Byrd klox at juno.com
Thu Oct 31 02:35:32 GMT 2002

to GAS,

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 13:59:39 -0600 "arnie" <arnie_ at charter.net> writes:
> The MAF system will self compensate for changing in engine VE as the
> mileage/wear take it's toll.  As engine wear would occur, a SD setup
> would
> need to be 'retuned' to compensate for changes in engine efficiency.

But only in open loop, right?  In closed loop, O2 governs mix via
feedback.  And here is something I wonder.  As wear occurs, VE drops,
right?  And that means for a given tuned fuel pulse, the air actually
available drops, which would tend to richen the mix and make emissions
worse, but not necessarily reduce power.  Do you get more specific power
from fuel when it burns stoich?  Or is it pretty much the same when you
have less oxygen than you need?  I guess it would depend on reaction
energy of fuel to CO2, vs. fuel to CO.