[Diy_efi] Re: Question about speed density, etc.

Eric D Byrd klox at juno.com
Thu Oct 31 04:01:53 GMT 2002

I think it's six of one, half a dozen of the other... control boost with
MAP, and your wastegate will just open more to compensate if you give it
more throttle, making your turbo work a little less hard.  The problem
with this scheme is, you don't really want full boost to be available at
partial throttle, do you?  The reason turbos are more efficient than
higher displacement, is that they don't boost until you ask them to,
i.e., don't build full boost until, ideally, you want more than your
engine will provide NA.  That's why the intake tract is the best place
for a controller pick up, before the TB.  Then you tune the wastegate to
provide the maximum boost that is safe for your engine, with the fuel you
are using.  Then, at partial throttle, your car is operating with the
fuel efficiency of NA, more or less, but when you want the boost, full
throttle will give it to you.  If you have full boost at partial
throttle, it seems to me your turbo is too small.