[Diy_efi] Spark knock detection

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Thu Sep 12 16:38:14 GMT 2002

Keith Ballantyne wrote:

> How hard is it to actually mount a knock sensor to an engine that has
> never had such equipment?  I always thought they needed to be mounted in
> the head somewhere.
>
> Keith Ballantyne

Look in the archives (diy and gmecm), there's a lot about GM knock
detection  The knock detector is a piezo electric microphone and it
screws into the block.  It can go anywhere with a good solid mechanical
connection to the block, so that it can "hear" well.  The engine
specific filtering and processing is done in the ESC module, a separate
device on C3 ECMs and built into the memcal on C4 ECMs.  ESC sends a
yes/no signal to the ECM.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet