[Diy_efi] data acquisition from engine with PC soundcard

Marteney, Steve Steve_Marteney at DRSOptronics.com
Fri Sep 13 14:56:01 GMT 2002

One issue you may have with using the soundcard is some notebooks (2 that I
have used) AC-couple the input.  This will distort square wave signals but
they will still be measurable as far as timing is concerned.  Of course, you
won't be able to get any DC data or slow varying data.

This is just a high-level view, but HTH.  You could get a 1-channel RS-232
data logger from datq.com for free (I think) or a 4-channel one for $49 (I
think).

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcell Gal [mailto:cell at x-dsl.hu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 5:26 AM
To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org
Subject: [Diy_efi] data acquisition from engine with PC soundcard

Hi guys,

Before designing my ECM (using code and board from
efi332) I'd like to check how the current DELCO
ECM drives the motor (at least injector pulsewidth,
timing, spark timing and the MAF, perhaps TPS).

I was thinking of using a notebook computer and a soundcard
(a digital multimeter for calibration), but I'd like to
not damage nor the notebook nor the engine.
I do not want to reassemble the DELCO code..
(I have a TBI with 1 injector and a DIS on a 4 cyl)

Does anyone have experience in this area?
(or knows about articles?)

thanx:
 Marcell