[Diy_efi] Question about 88 Corvette ECM

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sat Sep 14 14:36:55 GMT 2002

Perry Harrington wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was looking through the Mid America Direct catalog when I saw a listing for
> rebuilt ECMs.
>
> The little blurb accompanying the picture said something to the effect that
> Corvette ECMs go bad a lot.
>
> I was wondering if anyone here had info or could expound upon this information.
It used to be very common for the '165 to fail.  I remember installing
reman units that had problems.

> I have an 88 MAF and I'm curious what the common failure modes of these ECMs
> are.
Common failure mode?  Symptoms can vary.  Basically, a guy with some
experience at diagnostics will see a list of symptoms that just don't make
sense.  That's a clue that the ecm may be bad.   Ever hear of the gm tap
test?  Tap the ecm, if the car stumbes the ecm is bad.

Shannen