[Diy_efi] GM TPI fuel lines/rails and Saginaw fittings

Marteney, Steve Steve_Marteney at DRSOptronics.com
Wed Sep 18 19:38:53 GMT 2002

FWIW - I think I solved my own problem, but all I have is logic and little
bit of research, but nothing that says this is what it is.  It appears the
5/16" Saginaw is the same thing as a 14mm x 1.5 Saginaw as well as a 3/8"
Saginaw being the same as a 16mm x 1.5.  After doing some research, I
reconcile that the 5/16 and 3/8 nomenclature is a lot like the AN -X
nomenclature.  A -6AN fitting really doesn't specify anything except the max
O.D. of the hose/line (6/16 of an inch).  Likewise, in the Saginaw
nomenclature, 3/8" specifies the O.D. of the incoming hose/line since no
part of the thread dimensions comes anywhere close to 5/16".

Now, the Saginaw fittings are also specified as M16 x 1.5 metric fittings
(or M14).  According to the Machinist's Handbook, the M nomenclature
indicates an M16 would have a 16mm major diameter, where major diamter, in
millimeters, is majored from outer thread to outer thread on a male type
fitting.  The x 1.5 indicates the thread pitch, distance from one thread
peak to an adjacent thread peak, also in millimeters.  Some rough caliper
measurements seem to confirm this.

Furthermore, which most everyone knows, the Saginaw fitting has an o-ring at
the tip of the male fitting and a mating recess in the female fitting.

Am I on track?
Steve