[Diy_efi] power steering pump relocation

Scott F. Williams sfwilliams at comcast.net
Tue Apr 1 21:25:29 GMT 2003

--===============31293778356533508==

--Boundary_(ID_OSC8l78au9qkeZcWKhlOPg)

Folks, I'm converting to an electric power steering pump in my vehicle. This
pump was originally positioned in the engine bay with approximately 3.5 foot
long feed and return lines. My intent is to mount the pump inside the
cabin -probably behind the passenger's seat or even in the spare tire well.
My question is whether or not the extra length should be a concern. The
application here is a VW Scirocco. The distance from firewall to the seat
area is about 4 feet. The spare tire well is an additional 4 feet beyond
that point, I estimate.

Question: Should this extra tubing length pose any issues from a pumping
efficiency point of view? Forget about calculations here. Just let me know
your gut feeling about it, please.

Thanks,

P.S. My primary motivation here is to move the weight as low as possible and
farther back for best weight distribution.
'--
Scott F. Williams
Team Director
Usually Sideways Rally Team