[Diy_efi] power steering pump relocation

Scott F. Williams sfwilliams at comcast.net
Wed Apr 2 04:43:14 GMT 2003

Bernd Felsche quipped:
> Seriously off-topic. :-)

Actually, it won't be shortly, because the next questions will be about
variable speed assist and integrating this circuitry with the ECU. Well
okay, this truly has nothing to do with fuel injection, but it is system
electronics nonetheless. Close enough? :^)

> The other concern is one of the steering getting the
> required pressure soon enough if the pump is modulated
> in some way.

Hmm... good point. This project is in its seminal stages. Perhaps hard pipe
and braided steel will be necessary to cut the damping effect...

Mike D. wisely asked:
> why do you need power steering in a Scirocco???  That's
> a pretty light car.  You can loose up to 10 lbs by removing
> all that stuff and free up some power.

Yup, you're quite right about that, Mike. I'm running a 2:1 steering
quickener which brings the turns lock to lock to just two. I'm no weakling,
but that kind of steering effort would be murder on me over the course of a
long rally event or even in an an autocross. A precision touch is needed
rather than the ham fisted approach. Okay, back to my laboratory...

Thanks,
--
Scott F. Williams
Team Director