[Diy_efi] power steering pump relocation

Derek derek_obanion at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 23:46:30 GMT 2003

This thread has got me thinking. I'm not ready to go with a electric pump, and
there is as far as I know no way to retrofit the new pure electric power
steering systems onto a older car.

But, what about something as simple as a bypass? Run a line from the high
pressure to the low pressure side of the system, with a solenoid controlling the
flow. This will reduce the pressure of the system, and the total amount of
assist. I have the means to control this against vehicle speed.

My question is, how much would this save on parasitic loss? A comparison I'm
hoping for is HP% loss comparison, assuming a baseline of a engine with no power
steering at all.

A. Normal power steeing, full pressure. I have heard about 5%.
B. Fully bypassed power steering pump. Would it get down to only 1% loss, or
more like 4%? I'm assuming most of the "work" the engine puts into the power
steering is the effort of creating pressure, with the frictional losses of the
spinning being far less.

I don't need exact figures, just want to know if it's worth doing.