[Diy_efi] 60-2 crank sensor algorythms - Detecting missing pu

maier_markus at t-online.de maier_markus at t-online.de
Mon Apr 7 11:21:52 GMT 2003

Hi,

sounds reasonable for detecting the gap for the first time, if you have
a quite standard engine with a full battery. If your starting
(cranking), then there might be heavydynamics of the engine speed. Just
imagine, you have a kind of race engine with a high compression ration
and a low battery (or a small starter), then the engine isn't cranking
very smoothly.

What I'm doing is the following: the system has to detect the gap (or
what it thinks the gap is) once. Then it starts te tooth counter (or
better it resets it). After 58 teeth, the gap has to re-occur. If it
does so, I know, that the gap was detected correctly. I'm checking for
the correct gap for three revoloutions of the crankshaft (may be a
little bit too much). If the gap was detected three times, then I allow
the system to fire the ignition coils. So there's a quite good
certainty, that I have detected the gap correctly.

Ciao
Markus