[Diy_efi] Using oil temp for eng temp on ait cooled bikes

maier_markus at t-online.de maier_markus at t-online.de
Tue Apr 8 05:28:37 GMT 2003

Hi,

personally, I think y ou need both of them, as they aren't necessarily
coupled. Imagine a crankshaft bearing that breaks down. That increases
your oil temperture without increasing the head temp. So both of them
will be a good indication, of what's going on in the engine.

A PT1000 thermo sensor might do a good job for both. It's first of all
linear up to tempertures of 400=B0C (and sligthly un-linear above, which
can be corrected by software). On my VW beetle, which is aircooled
too), I never discovered cyl. head temps above 270=B0C.

Best regards
Markus

P.S.: personally: don't look too often on the temps, as it prevents you
from going fast! The more you know, the more frigthened you are about
the engine status :-)