[Diy_efi] Smog pump and emissions testing question...

Perry Harrington pedward at apsoft.com
Mon Apr 28 21:51:48 GMT 2003

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 05:33:52PM -0400, Brian Renegar wrote:
> Ok, I see what you are saying about the air injection holes being
> clogged.  But I have Edelbrock heads, which do have the thermactor holes,
> and have been off of the motor several times, including hot tanked.  So I
> would think that the holes should be clear in my case.  The only visual

It's the aluminum air tube that gets clogged up.

> inspection they do is for the cats.  They do not open the hood, so I don't
> have to worry about "why is that hose running there instead of here" kind
> of questions.  BTW, I'm probably going to be using my factory H-pipe for
> the emissions test.  Would it still be better to route the smog pump to the
> cats, or instead run it up to the cylinder heads?

It couldn't hurt to be pumping air into the H pipe.

> Also, the test is not "steady state", as you say.  They DO vary the load,
> mph, as in a normal driving situation.  Everything from idle, low speed
> cruise, mild to moderate acceleration (as in freeway entrance ramps), to
> highway speed cruise is tested.  I have taken my Jeep through the test, and
> you can watch the various stages it goes through.  We went through
> everything, all the ways up to 55 mph.  What I'm worried about is the
> people not knowing how to drive on the dyno.  As I said, a friend took his
> through emissions and failed.  Most of that was due to the emissions tech
> not knowing when to shift the car.  As an acceleration period came up, he
> would up shift to the next gear, and then have to floor the gas to keep the
> wheel speed in the increasing limits.  Obviously at that point emissions
> were out the window, and he tried to explain that to them, but they
> wouldn't listen.  If I tune the car to just run at 14.7:1 for all
> conditions and that situation comes up, I could have a blown up
> engine!  I'm almost tempted to put a throttle stop in place to keep them
> from giving it too much gas so that doesn't happen!

Well, you have control over WOT.  Just set the WOT threshold to 5 volts It'll
never go to WOT fueling.  Also, be reasonable with boost, don't turn them
loose with 14psi.

> Brian

I am positive that there is a certification that these dyno monkey must have.
To get that cert, they must be trained in some procedure.  If they are not
following the procedure, and you can document it, then they will lose their
certification and the test is invalid.

I recommend going to the pass or don't pay places, there's very little at stake
in failing a car that is obviously mechanically sound.

--Perry

--
Perry Harrington			Data Acquisition & Instrumentation, Inc
perry at dainst dot com					 http://www.dainst.com/

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end up with either.
                             -- Benjamin Franklin