[Diy_efi] Affordable accelerometer?

Derek derek_obanion at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 02:54:19 GMT 2003

I need a accelerometer. Preferably in the +/-1gto +/-2g range, and I only need a
single axis. Can be powered by either unregulated 12V or regulated 5V. Needs a
DC output, perferably a 0-5V one with 0G being 2.5V, or some conditioning
similar.

So far I have found several candidates, but all are $300-$400. Which confuses
me, considering the G-tech Pro has a prettynice dual-axis accelerometer built in
and the whole thing only costs $150.

I was going to use this as a logged input to the AEM EMS computer I have. I can
then log G forces at 250samples/sec, and easily compute horsepower from the
logs. I have been trying to just use the gear ratios and RPM rate of change to
infer G-force, but the data isn't "clean" enough to get a steady reading. Lot's
of peaks and valleys.