[Diy_efi] Intake manifold flow testing

John Stricker jstricke at rwisp.com
Wed Feb 12 02:54:20 GMT 2003

I can't specifically answer your question but in aircraft, at first it takes
large movements of the mixture control to affect EGT.  As we get close to
proper leaning, very slight movements can make a great deal of difference in
EGT.  As to tuning by EGT, there is a company called GAMI that balances
fixed orifice injectors in aircraft mechanical fuel injection systems by
doing just that.  You fly the airplane and record EGT's and they can vary
fuel with injector sizes.  On some engines (large, turbo-charged
Continentals) it makes a VAST difference in how well they run and their fuel
efficiency.  On others (smaller Lycoming, for instance) there isn't enough
difference to even come close to warranting the change.  The difference
between the engines is how well balanced their intake piping is to begin
with.

John Stricker