[Diy_efi] Affordable accelerometer?

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Wed Feb 12 03:51:50 GMT 2003

Derek wrote:

> I need a accelerometer. Preferably in the +/-1gto +/-2g range, and I only need a
> single axis. Can be powered by either unregulated 12V or regulated 5V. Needs a
> DC output, perferably a 0-5V one with 0G being 2.5V, or some conditioning
> similar.

Seems to me that Analog Devices' ADXL311 will fit your bill.  Datasheet:

http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Datasheets/262638239ADXL311_pra.pdf

Costs $6.38 each direct from http://commerce.analog.com.  You might be
able to order free samples as well.

Specs:

2 axis, +- 2g full scale output, +2.7 to +5.25V single-supply voltage,
onboard signal conditioning, 6kHz max bandwidth (-3dB).  As with lots of
these resonant sensors, the ultimate sensitivity is set by the noise
floor which is related to the cutoff bandwidth that you select, and
their datasheet claims you can resolve 2mg (milli-g's) at 10Hz BW, which
corresponds to 0.1degrees of inclination.

The only downside: it only comes in a tiny surface mount package, about
0.177" square.  It's only 8 pins, so with a steady hand you could
probably solder directly to it.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a
common pin layout (lcc 8 ?) but you may be able to find a surfboard or
some other type of adapter that you could use.

Brian