[Diy_efi] Intake manifold flow testing

Bill Washington bill.washington at nec.com.au
Wed Feb 12 04:15:55 GMT 2003

Gents,
    My two bob's worth:
The blower will give a continuous even flow through the manifold - This
isn't even close to real life on the engine particularly at low RPM where:
1. flow in each runner starts and stops sequentially with the opening
and closing of intake valves.
2. The opening and closing of the valves cause low and high pressure
pulses which propagate through the manifold at the speed of sound.
(NOTE: since the speed of sound is airdensity(pressure) dependent the
speed of propagation of these pulses will vary with vacuum/boost, which
in turn is affected by engine speed, throttle butterfly position, turbo
speed, ambient air density, moisture content, Intake/filter
restrictions, shape and internal surface finish of the manifold ETC, ETC!)
3. When the high pressure pulse from one intake valve closing reaches
another intake valve while it is open that cylinder will receive a
better charge of air.
4. When the low pressure pulse from one intake valve opening reaches
another intake valve while it is open that cylinder will receive a
smaller charge of air.
5. Not only does the propagation time vary with the factors mentioned in
(2) above, but also the time between intake valves opening varies
linearly with RPM.

Therefore I would expect that greatest effect from these factors will be
at low RPM, which seems to be borne out by other people's experience,
whereas at higher RPM I would expect the performance to asymptote
towards the continuous flow model.

Bill W