[Diy_efi] Re: Diy_efi Digest, Vol 2, Issue 30

Bill Washington bill.washington at nec.com.au
Wed Feb 19 05:36:09 GMT 2003

J,
    Schematic 4 has the advantage that you can adjust the trigger
voltage, but note the points repeated below.

1. You reversed Diode D1, it was correct, and is now wrong. You should
have reversed Diode D2, which remains wrong.
Diode D2 is essential because when you switch off the current to the
coil the driven side (connected to the transistor) will try to go
negative in voltage, the function of  the diode is to clamp it at 0V.
Diode D1 is not essential.

2. The circuit will work opposite to description IE:
Condition A: #1>~#2 => #3 = 8V => Relay contacts closed
Condition B: #1<~#2 => #3 = 0V => Relay contacts open

3. R3 adds hysteresis, therefore the switching point will not be when #1=#2.

4. General description of operation #3 will switch to 8V (ie relay energised, contacts closed) when #1 rises
above (1.01 x voltage at U1 pin 4)and remain there until #1 drops below (8V - 1.01 x(8V - voltage at U1 pin 4), at which time #3 will switch back to 0V (ie relay denergised, contacts open.

5. To invert the sense of the operation, IE:
Condition A: #1>~#2 => Relay contacts open
Condition B: #1<~#2 => Relay contacts closed
You must change to a PNP transistor or P Channel FET, BUT then ensure that the 12V supply is switched off with the ignition!

Regards
Bill