[Diy_efi] Re: Wire up of BMW M3 coils...?

Gerard gerard at poboxes.com
Sun Feb 23 18:36:06 GMT 2003

> BTW: The molten fuse panel reminds me of Audi electrics.
> All the wiring is marginal in dimensions. Horrid voltage drops as
> the car ages.

Hey! Easy on the Audi stuff. Then again, I think you're right. My
project car is an Audi of some vintage. I have some interesting stories
about levels of boost related to brake light operation. :) Let alone a
friend who was experiencing some wonderful under-dash heating due to a
factory wiring splice. :)

By the way, Mike, I rigged up my coils today and got it figured. Managed
to fire a plug. A bit strange as I didn't wire the grounding point on
the body to the -ve on the battery. I ran it all directly off the
battery so ofcourse things started to weld themselves together so I
moved the ground to the body of the spark plug. Probably had something
to do with why, at times, I got 2 sparks everytime I switch the primary
circuit.

Anyway, enough of the M3 coil thread for me. I reckon I've got these
figured and I didn't make anything explode, but I think it'd be best to
get M3 Bosch items or perhaps the Acura stuff I'm looking at (if it is
similar with built-in switch, rather than having to run extra components
to control it all). As indicated above, given the view (and experiences)
on Audi wiring, I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

G.