[Diy_efi] traction control & nitrous (devlish combo?)

Scott F. Williams sfwilliams at comcast.net
Wed Feb 26 01:33:37 GMT 2003

Guys, I committed treason and purchased a Racelogic traction control system
(instead of building it myself): <http://www.racelogic.co.uk/traction.htm>

To quote the website a lil' bit:
"The system works by monitoring the speed of all four wheels using the ABS
system or specially fitted sensors. When wheelspin is detected the engine
power is reduced until grip is resumed. This occurs in a thousandth of a
second, and appears to the driver as a slight miss-fire with no loss in
acceleration."

Anyway, what the system does is sequentially cut the signals to the
injectors like a soft cut rev limiter. This is all well and good, but I'll
be running a wet nitrous oxide system that (obviously) supplies fuel
independently from the main injectors. My question is, so long as my
system's fuel/nitrous ratio is balanced... should I even care if there is no
regular fuel/air combustion going on? Of course, the system's ability to
limit the amount of slip would be compromised, but other than that is there
any reason to be concerned here?

In short, is it safe to burn optimally proportioned amounts of nitrous/fuel
without any other combustion going on? Something tells me that this should
be no problem. However, the Racelogic people are pitching a stink about the
idea. Ideally, I'd be able to control the foggers, too, but I don't see that
happening without a lot more work and expen$e.

Thanks,
--
Scott F. Williams
Team Director