[Diy_efi] traction control & nitrous (devlish combo?)

Andrew Theurer habanero at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 26 02:38:13 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 19:55, Scott F. Williams wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> > I'm no expert but I think that this looks like a good
> > way to melt lot of expensive and hard to replace bits.
> > When the fuel from the injectors gets cut you still have
> > the fuel that was added with the N20 burning in the air
> > and N20. The way I see it you would be going WAY lean.
>
> Okay, but... why would I run lean? If the nitrous oxide and the
> supplemental fuel supplied by the foggers are properly matched, then th=
ere
> should be a safe combustion event. Why wouldn't there be?

Because air thru the throttle + n2o + fuel from jets =3D lean mixture.   =
You=20
cannot ignore the air going thru the throttle.

> The EFI is unable
> to compensate (in open loop) for a lean (or rich) condition when on the
> bottle, anyway. So, if the engine were to run lean during a traction
> control-imposed fuel cut, it would have been doing all along.=20

Without n2o, when the trac system cuts the injector, that cylinder doesn'=
t run=20
lean, it simply doesn't combust at all, it has no fuel at all.  There is =
a=20
big difference.  When you introduce fuel, (n2o system), it will run lean,=
=20
because the fogger still supplies fuel, matched to the n2o only, not the=20
oxygen supplied by the n2o AND the air going thru the throttle.

The only way I see doing this is with a dry n2o system. =20