[Diy_efi] traction control & nitrous (devlish combo?)

Scott F. Williams sfwilliams at comcast.net
Wed Feb 26 02:02:57 GMT 2003

Chris wrote:
> I'm no expert but I think that this looks like a good
> way to melt lot of expensive and hard to replace bits.
> When the fuel from the injectors gets cut you still have
> the fuel that was added with the N20 burning in the air
> and N20. The way I see it you would be going WAY lean.

Okay, but... why would I run lean? If the nitrous oxide and the supplemental
fuel supplied by the foggers are properly matched, then there should be a
safe combustion event. Why wouldn't there be? The EFI is unable to
compensate (in open loop) for a lean (or rich) condition when on the bottle,
anyway. So, if the engine were to run lean during a traction control-imposed
fuel cut, it would have been doing all along. Keep in mind that the fuel cut
occurs at the fuel injectors -*not* the fuel rail. In other words the fuel
foggers would still be spraying away very happily.

Well, this is how it all computes in my head. What am I missing here? What
am I forgetting? My spidey senses are tingling...
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut