[Diy_efi] traction control & nitrous (devlish combo?)

Scott F. Williams sfwilliams at comcast.net
Wed Feb 26 14:12:18 GMT 2003

> Seems to me that you are going at a problem in a backwards
> way. I would assume that the TCS is required even for
> non-nitrous operation?

No, this is merely an add on to a well-functioning car. There is plenty of
power to turn the tires into smoke at launch, but judicious applications of
the throttle minimizes that problem.

> If the engine has enough power to break the tires loose without
> nitrous, then adding nitrous is a waste.

Any respectable performance car should be able to break the tires loose at
launch, methinks. :^) At this point, I have around 200hp all motor. With the
nitrous, I'll add another 75 or so. That extra power will certainly
overwhelm the tires at low speeds, so I won't even engage the nitrous until
well into second or third gear. Additionally, I envision this traction
control system to be more of an aid while cornering during backroad driving.
To make it work with the nitrous (an apparent fantasy at this point) would
really be an added bonus.

> Does the Racelogic system have a "staged" configuration option?

The system is plenty capable of handling boost because the supplementary
fueling is handled by the main injectors. The same would be the case for a
dry nitrous system which uses the main injectors instead of independent
foggers like mine. Therefore, there's no need for a staged set up when used
in this manner. It just doesn't help me in this case.

> I would expect the unit to have an enable line that could be tied
> to the nitrous arm.

I'm not sure what you mean by an "enable line". Do you mean an auxillary
output to control a secondary function (such as this)? Now that I've gotten
some more advice and have thought about it a while, I think that controlling
the nitrous/fuel solenoids directly will be problematic. Their cycle time is
lots slower than the main fuel injectors. Thus, precise and smooth control
of that system is likely to be impossible.

I'm quite sure that at this point, I'll use the traction control for use
without the nitrous. That seems counter-productive, but launch (with or
without nitrous) is really the trickiest part of a dragrace. I can certainly
handle the power modulation on my own when I'm down the track a bit.

> BTW, is the car you plan on using it on AWD?

No, this is a FWD Volkswagen, actually. -a 1980 Scirocco to be exact. :^)
Anyway, that you *very* much for the advice!
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut