[Diy_efi] traction control & nitrous (devlish combo?)

Scott F. Williams sfwilliams at comcast.net
Thu Feb 27 00:26:07 GMT 2003

Perry Harrington wrote:
> I think trying to do traction control while on nitrous is
> just plain dumb.

@$$#%&* Oh YEAH, well... I completely agree with you at this point. :^) As I
wrote in another post, "...my resolution is to simply use the traction
control system during a nitrous-free launch. I suppose I'll rig a circuit to
disable the nitrous whenever the nitrous circuit is "live" (every gear
except first which is currently locked out via a microswitch)."

> If you are running TCS on a car with 1 axle power and that
> car can break loose without Nitrous, then you are already
> at the deemed stage of power which TCS is useful.

My gearing is *very* short which makes 1st gear wheel spin a challenge to
deal with. The TCS will ease that situation when *off* the bottle.
Considering that I've got a progressive nitrous controller and that the
later gears each have less mechanical leverage than the one before, I don't
think I'll miss the TCS when squeezing at all. In short, it will be a
launch-only bandaid. This makes sense, no?

> Trying to use nitrous as a full time power adder seems like a cost
> losing proposition.

Agreed, this was never my intention. I posed the question hypothetically to
concentrate on the safety aspect of my proposal, not out of any sort of
practicality. It just so happens that my half-baked idea was neither safe OR
practical. :^) I figured it wasn't, but I wasn't sure why. Thanks for the
remedial lessons, everyone!

> These are just my thoughts. It was an interesting conversation
> because it gives me ideas for a DIY TCS that would be fairly easy
> to implement. My Mustang could due with a TCS system...

Well, let's hear some of them, Perry. I find the TC topic to be rather
fascinating.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut