[Diy_efi] traction control & nitrous (devlish combo?)

Perry Harrington pedward at apsoft.com
Thu Feb 27 01:10:01 GMT 2003

Since your first post mentioned rally, I assumed you were looking for
TCS *and* a power adder...

> Agreed, this was never my intention. I posed the question hypothetically to
>
> Well, let's hear some of them, Perry. I find the TC topic to be rather
> fascinating.

Well, you said pretty well how it works.  It cuts injectors and such.  I was
thinking of a box that plugs into a Crane Hi-6 ignition and manipulates the
0 - 20deg retard that their normal Pot does.  On my mustang I think I'd add
ABS sensors to the front wheels (need new hubs, cause the ones I have are the
non-ABS Cobra hubs) and use the VSS along with the front ABS sensors.

The Ford ABS systems generally use a 3 channel system with a reluctor on the
rearend carrier and a sensor in the housing (this is how the lightning does it).

For TCS, Sum the 2 front ABS inputs, double the VSS input, then convert the
values to same units (VSS has 8 pulses per rev, ABS is probably 36 or close),
then check to see if the 2 inputs are within a percentage of eachother.  Apply
retard as a function of difference.  0 - 20 deg vs percent difference in
input speeds.

I was also thinking of a quick shift gizmo too.  Basically you install a relay
on the hot side of the coil primary and put a momentary contact switch on your
gearshift.  When you want to upshift you pull on the switch while rowing the
gears.  This would interrupt the hot side of the coil and drop spark.  The
goal would be to get really fast upshifts without clutching.  I don't know
how much of a problem the unburnt fuel would be.  It could be considerable,
therefor cutting the hot side of the injector supply may be the alternative.

Ultimately, having the spark box cut in a rev limiter would be the trick.  I
think the easiest way would be to use the "anti-theft" mode of the HI-6.  This
is basically a rev limiter set at 800 rpm.  You can start the motor, but it
drops spark to feign a mechanical problem.  There is an external enable for
this, just hook it up to a microswitch and you have an upshift cutout, or
use it for TCS.

I like the concept of the individual injector cutout, this combined with spark
cutout could do a lot.

--Perry

--
Perry Harrington			Data Acquisition & Instrumentation, Inc
perry at dainst dot com					 http://www.dainst.com/

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty or safety. Nor, are they likely to end up with either.
                             -- Benjamin Franklin