[Diy_efi] Re: over a million turbos at that time and not

Jay Wallace wallkatt at netzero.com
Thu Jan 2 18:00:30 GMT 2003

Phil,
The discussion at the time was an exchange with scientific representatives
from the Japanese Ceramics trade organization JFCC (Japan Fine Ceramics
Center) As I recall, it is a quasi-governmental trade organization that
also does research. Anyway, their story of > 1M ceramic turbos in the field
without a single failure was in line with what we heard from scientists at
Toyota and NGK. Note: we were considering brittle failure mechanisms and
statistics for CERAMICS and would not have included bearing failure or the
such. I also suspect that these numbers didn't include data from foreign
object damage, track cars or heavily modded cars, but it was not discussed.
I don't think that they were spinning anything but I guess that I am also
naive.

Jay