[Diy_efi] HKS EGT guage wiring

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Sat Jan 4 01:23:37 GMT 2003

TVS wrote:

> I've bought a Mazda MX5 engine fitted with a GReddy turbocharger kit from a
> scrapyard. Included with this was a HKS EGT gauge but unfortunately the
> wires for this where cut when it was "removed". I would be very grateful if
> somebody who's got one of these could explain how to connect it back up!
> There are two plugs on the back of the gauge:
> The first has three wires, a white, a red and a brown. The white and red go
> to a two-pin plug that matches up with the plug the EGT probe. This just
> leaves the brown with out a home.
> The second plug has five wires, black, red, white, grey and yellow. All
> these end very abruptly!
> Unfortunatly there aren't any HKS dealers in the UK.

It sounds like a standard type-J (iron/constantan) thermocouple wire.
It's important to use the right kind of wire or else the readings will
not be accurate.  The two pin plug sounds like the standard kind.  Just
look around for a "type J thermocouple extension" and you should find
something that will connect the probe to the gauge.  I don't know what
the other connector is for.

Brian