[Diy_efi] Re: Water metanol turbo assist - was Argon turbo

Ohio Benz ohiobenz at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 4 21:27:49 GMT 2003

I have to agree that some things we do are built on
paradigms that can be somewhat outdated.  What
interests me about the WI into the exhaust stream is
that the principle of the expansion of the h2o will
exit by the path of least resistance - out the turbine
housing.  It is logical that this will create a denser
gas and increase turbine speed - especially when
running a "large" turbine housing for the engine
displacement.
Since I am running a high CR (10.8:1) compared to
popular turbo setups - another paradigm changed with
the advent of tuneable ECU's - I needed the powerband
to be upward of 7000-7500rpm, hence the larger turbine
housing.
The option readily available to assist in spooling of
a turbo at lower rpm's is NOS.  I would prefer
something more manageable such as WI of h2o+meth into
the exhaust.
WI/h20 into the intake has been proven to be real
effective at around 20% of fuel flow, with meth added
the %'s have been somewhat higher.  Maybe with diesel
it can go as high as mentioned, I don't think a daily
driver on pump gas can tolerate that (70%).
The goal is to spool the bigger turbine quickly up to
5-7psi at which point the airflow of the engine is
better matched to the AR.  I contacted the source
mentioned on another forum, regarding nozzles capable
of handling 2700F.  They are available and I will
order one as soon as I have determined a flow factor
and orifice size.
So I'm not really interested in intake injection,
there's  a 1/2 dozen forums out there with lots of
experience in that area.

Jerrit