[Diy_efi] Turbine inlet & outlet pressures, housing A/Rs

Grant Beaty gbeaty at ufl.edu
Tue Jan 7 00:10:50 GMT 2003

Does anyone know how turbine outlet pressure effect the inlet pressures (TIP
& TOP)? Does it work off of a pressure ratio like the compressor, or is it
linear, and increasing TOP by 1 psi results in a 1 psi increase in TIP?

How about exhaust housing a/rs. Will a larger a/r always produce a lower
TIP, or will it only help at higher exhaust velocities (ie higher RPMS)
and/or higher pressures (ie high boost)? Logically it would seem a larger
a/r should always reduce backpressure somewhat, but I did a back-to-back
dyno with a .70 a/r and a .81 a/r at 19 psi of boost, and they produced the
same amount of power. I haven't done any backpressure testing with the .70
housing, but the .81 produced about the same amount of back pressure as
boost pressure at 17 psi.

Thanks for any help,
Grant Beaty