[Diy_efi] Power supplies Was: Digifant (was:This turbo

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 9 15:16:29 GMT 2003

At 01:49 AM 1/10/03 +1100, you wrote:
>> Nop, its the same on my car. The reason seems to be the ECU releases
>> the relay when its done, but the ignition can be 'killed' ad therefore
>> there isnt a 'hold' time. The other reason is the ECU is then compatible
>> with the hot wire AFM burn requirement. Inductance at those frequencies
>> is not an issue IMHO.
><snip>
>
>On the majority of injected toyotas there is an EFI relay for the ECU and
>fuel pump supply running pretty much off the alternator output directly,
>whereas the injectors and coils/ignitors are run through the ignition
>switch through 3-4 m of cable.
>
>On toyota engines fitted with stepper motor idle speed controls the EFI
>relay is activated by the ECU itself, and maintains power to the ECU for
>about 3-5 seconds after turnoff to reset the position of the ISC motor to
>the starting state.

Yeah interesting addition, not on my VL (GMH) or I guess the digifant,

Understandable, from a control systems perspective there is some value
in the controlling element deciding when to relinquish power, motors,
eeprom update etc etc Instead of it going off arbirarily, the Digifant,
Bernd has and my VL seem to have the same main schema in that respect,

Similar on static inverters on power applications, relay release is
'on request' by the user - the ECU has to agree with this request,
at some point we may enter into dialectic with our ECUs !

*grin*

Rgds

Mike
Perth, Western Australia