[Diy_efi] Digifant (was:This turbo assist stuff...)

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 10 06:11:11 GMT 2003

Bernd,

I wasnt looking to argue with you about the reletive merits of
VW's control systems strategy. I'm trying to understand your
problem and make an assesment as to what might make it rather
worse than what you'd expect from a 'drive out the showroom'
mode of operation. Incidentally the knock sensor on my Bosch/Hitachi
ECU is never tested by the ECU via pushing the advance. It seems
to be tested by virtue of noise detection within the rpm band its
designed to be effective if and only if the ignition is already
retarded after an initial knock detect and for my ECU its only 5deg.
It comes up with error code 34 (I think) to report some connection
problem or sensor problem or other problem in effect causing excessive
knock after a retard has alread occured.

On your system,
You are telling me the ECU detects knock frequently enough to cause
you some angst, even with hi octane fuel, to be a distinct irritation.
What I am focussing on is whether there is some aspect of your overall
system that gives the ECU an indication of excessive knock vs 'slight'
knock, because you are reporting the output falls dramatically in those
circumstances and you indicate this is relatively frequent.

What I am therefore trying to get a handle on is what you think
might be causing the ECU or sensor to (in effect) see an excessive
knock signal (which might be erroneous) vs a slight knock which
would (in theory) only require a minor retard - not the significant
retard you are reporting which you find so irritating.

And, the most probabilistic item I am focussed on at this point has
to do with suppression of ignition noise. I see a potential in
the probability that your 'bosch amp' has degraded to the point
that its inbuilt suppression cap is not functioning optimumly
causing possible coupling to the knock sensor - hence causing
the ECU to 'over-correct' for erroneous knock detection.

rgds

mike