[Diy_efi] RE: Banjo Dis. Pic

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 13 04:12:24 GMT 2003

At 10:14 AM 9/1/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Any pic of the current set-up? Your T3 flanged dump is an elbow?

Standard one, nothing special - seems to go straight out
in line with turbine... I have a 2meg byte pic somewhere have
to trim it a bit,

>I thought wastegates were used to avoid high engine back-
>pressure. You were you talking about throttling the turbine
>not the compressor, right?

No. From a control systems perspective its generally better
to control the input variable - in this case the air into the
compressor. I understand why its being done in terms of the
exhaust, cheap, traditional etc. The current wastegate system
is a 'bad' compromise for a mechanical throttle coupled with
commercial issues.

In principle it is more efficient to control the boost
pressure with the input throttle, not feasible unless you
have drive by wire - which simplies the turbine/wastegate
casting and should end up smoothing out the exhaust flow
not having the discontinuity of a wastegate to mess it up.
The 'delay' through the engine at speeds capable of boost
reaching some maxima is trivially short.

Another method is to have an extra ECU-controlled butterfly
in front of the compressor inlet, but this adds turbulence
and restriction (a little). In control systems aspects its
far better to control the pre-amplified variable instead of
dumping 'power' (post amplified variable) vis a vis exhaust
pressure after the event so to speak.

>A smooth, gently narrowing pipe can be sufficient muffling to
>avoid the resonator altogether, it'll bark as your wastegate
>opens though :)

mmmm, My exhaust is throaty now as its 3" all the way through
and all the existing resonator is - is just a opened pipe
with restriction at both ends - though not much. The muffler is
a 'straight through' - the car goes well and is quiet at highway
cruise speeds a little noisey when pushing it hard.

PS: Only just saw this email  after some time as it didnt come
through list, I llok at my list stuff first and am interested
in any other observations so I'm happy to keep it on list, tah

rgds

mike