[Diy_efi] GDI Cont'd

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 13 05:37:52 GMT 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 01:17:32PM +0000, Mike wrote:
> err yes but in conventional parlance we have a 12v system
> not a 13.8v system, bulbs, injectors, modules are said
> to be 12v rated not 13.8v rated etc.
>
> Things get more interesting with the higher voltage,

The reason for the "about 40V" choice is that the current crop of
automotive electricians won't require re-licencing. At least not in
the USA and EU. They're allowed to fry ECU's and blow airbags rated
to about 40V.

> So the conventional parlance is thrown out the window, I
> can see some electricians and techs getting confused over
> this, do they buy a 36v bulb or a 42v bulb as we now
> buy a 12v bulb and not a 13.8v bulb...

The face illumination on the my Radio-CD was far too bright so I had
a friend modify it - replaced the globes with 14V globes (he's not
confused!). You pay $800 for a quality unit, and it's still as dumb
as a blonde - won't dim the display when the lights are on!

> Hey ! Maybe we can make our own 32v ac and use all those
> peripherals made in the late 50's and 60's in australia
> which grace the support for the old sink in the back shed ;-)

Are they still working? I have a terminal that fizzes and pops like
crazy - it's less than 20 years old.

> 32v ac from 36/42 volts would be a sinch with a simple
> bridge PWM converter.

> With 32/42 it would make more sense to have one SMPS (boost/
> buck) integrated with the charger, supply a regulated rail - instead
> of duplicating any buck/boost regulators around the system,
> which is not to be confused with voltage correction for
> pulse width for injectors etc...

The thing is; what sort of current do you need to regulate it to?

It looks like the starter-generator will be "direct" to battery
anyway, but pumps and compressors don't really need fancy
regulation. Nor do electric windows and convenience motors; not even
blower fans.

> Hey Bernd, do you want me to post you that cap, or shall I
> drop it off to reptile (Paul), who is in Chaucer way Kalamunda,
> I think he mentioned he knew you...(Had a stroke little while ago,
> now fully recovered).

I did contribute to sending Reptile the card. The (poor) sketch of a
lizard smoking a pipe on the card from other UCC-ites was my
(un)handiwork.

I'm not often up Kala. way. Once a week or so I head up to North
Perth in the afternoon. You're in that hemisphere aren't you?