[Diy_efi] RE: Banjo Dis. Pic

Grant Beaty gbeaty at ufl.edu
Mon Jan 13 06:39:18 GMT 2003

> In principle it is more efficient to control the boost
> pressure with the input throttle...

Why? To control boost with a butterfly valve on the intake, you create a
pressure drop, so the turbo must do more work to flow the same amount of
air. Seems as if this would lead to more backpressure.

If your talking about controlling boost with the normal butterfly in the TB,
the turbo would create much more boost in the IC pipes than the intake
manifold, creating a low-airflow high-pressure ratio situation, which
usually means inefficiency or surge. Or am I missing something? Seems like
you don't want the turbo to do any more work than it has to - after all,
more work requires more exhaust pressure.

Grant Beaty