[Diy_efi] Importance of TPS with lightweight cars

Dave Dahlgren ddahlgren at snet.net
Mon Jan 13 10:36:06 GMT 2003

I think I would look at some different parameters that might have a greater
effect. Throttled volume, delta P across the throttle, and rate of acceleration
of the engine. From practical experience I know the closer the throttle is to
the inlet valve the less tps related enrichment is required. That would lead you
to believe that throttled volume is very important. The reason i believe it is
important is the delta P across the throttle and the amount of time it takes to
stabilize when the position is changed.. An interesting data log might include
the manifold pressure and throttle position with different throttled volumes
taken at several thousand per second. The other thought is with a large volume
of atomized fuel when you open the throttle quickly and the pressure goes to
atmospheric how much fuel falls out of suspension? And how many cycles does it
take to recover? A small quick revving engine might complete those cycles much
sooner time wise than a large heavy engine.

Dave