[Diy_efi] Importance of TPS with lightweight cars

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Mon Jan 13 22:43:56 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Wade" <espresso_doppio at yahoo.com>

> Indeed.  Did you read the (rather controvertial)
> article I posted here some time ago from a long-time
> pilot on running extremely lean, and the EGT falling
> to below rich of best power running, AND getting
> improved fuel consumption?

Well I did some research of my own on the 'plugs up' list, which is
specifically for rotary engined planes. There they suggested that you can
run even leaner than is normal, due to lack of valves to burn. The problem
with going too far is recovering again when you open it up. Fly by wire
throttles allow this, but without that......

> It sounds very much like "standard" thinking with a
> cat and closed-loop, only perhaps taken even leaner
> (I'm sure we're all aware of the extremely narrow
> range of AFR in which a catalyst will operate).  And I
> see no flaw in your approach, I'm just curious as to
> the effort necessary and the improvement made by going
> to those lengths.  I may be surprised at the
> difference!

I have no cat so can run at what the engine can tolerate. WI may be an
option to lean even further. I don't know what the gains are, but I have the
time and the electronics to find out. Just intrigued to know if anyone
thought that the approach should differ from that of a normal car. I'll play
and report back

Bill