[Diy_efi] RE: Banjo Dis. Pic --- Throttling intake air

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 14 14:55:37 GMT 2003

At 07:46 AM 14/1/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>I've been trying to follow this thread, and am a little confused.

Its pretty straightforward if you dont drop context or mix definitions
;-)

>You are saying it is more efficient to control boost by placing a throttle
>before the compressor inlet?

Thats not quite what I said, you are twisting the words (just a little),
I said "... from a control systems perspective... more efficient to
control the nonamplitude variable..." or some such ~`:o

>Do you have a reference?

Its basic control systems theory (and practice I might add) except
as I already said - not used in automotive apps due to commercial
issues.

In essence:-

'Its more efficient to control the power going in than dump whats
been created and going out when it doesnt do useful work'

Opening a wastegate and dumping all that heat and kinetic
energy is not particularly efficient, far better is to *size*
the system (I would have thought) so it never needs to get
to that point.

>The most efficient engine is a NA engine with a wide open throttle.
>Airplane guys have known this for years.  It's an art to pick an altitude
>that offeres the manifold pressure you want to cruise at.  After takeoff
>open the throttle all the way, and leave it there the whole flight.

Sure, dont quite see the relevance, we are in a turbo envirnoment,
hence not equivalent, we are 'controlling' not leaving engine at WOT

>Each time you suck or squeeze air, some efficiency is lost in the form of
>extra heat added to the air, because it takes work to get it through an
>orifice, or to compress it.  Nothing is 100% efficient.

Yes ture, the sun is also very likely to rise in the east tomorrow ;)

>So, if you throttle the intake to the compressor, then air is sucked through
>the throttle, then compressed by the turbo to the deck pressure you want to
>run (two efficiency hits), then after combustion, the exhaust is put through
>a turbine where it is expanded one more time, because the compressor is
>working.  Three places where work is being done (three hits total).

Er yes - sort of but thats mostly a static interpretation, in controlling
boost (where the turbo is sized for it), you are controlling the source
of combustion not the much larger energy in the end product.

>If you throttle the exhaust, bypassing the turbine, you can take the NA
>case, where no boost is wanted.  Of course there is still some loss, because
>intake air still goes through the compressor, getting some heating.  For
>moderate or max boost, only one hit, because if you are boosting, it would
>be assumed your throttle is already completely open.

Assumptions not valid or relevant and you are mixing things up a bit,
such as '...bypassing the turbine, you can take the NA...' this is
a leap with all sorts of implicit assumptions. And your last sentence
in para above is not necessarily the case.

Rather than a traditional cost based approach of wastegate venting,
look at from a control systems perspective.

Is it better to control a few litres of air and grams petrol or a
a lot of litres of really hot voluminous exhaust, which perspective
is most likely to be more controllable and more efficient ?

rgds

mike