[Diy_efi] RE: Banjo Dis. Pic --- Throttling intake air

Marcell Gal cell at x-dsl.hu
Tue Jan 14 16:24:50 GMT 2003

Hi,

> What I should have said here is,...' you are controlling the
> source of combustion which takes less energy than the hotter
> consumed end product which is wasted when wastegate opens.

But how can we make a turbine in such a dynamic environment
that does not ever need an open wastegate?
(in a static environment it looks easy)

It seems to me that if we want a quick response (low latency,
fast spinup) turbo, we need to releive it from part of the exhaust
when reaching full-power (max exhaust).
This could be done by attaching the wastegate to a second turbine
which feeds the battery or a hiperC or adds to the torque of the motor
(and partly take the function of the flywheel)
(so that the extra exhaust is not wasted any more). Or brake the
turbine above a specific RPM with a generator (however the
generator would increase the theta therefore adding to lag)
However it seems to me that not a lot of manufacturers do this.
We ain't operate at full throttle too much
and the efficiency is not very good there anyway.

I might be wrong

Marcell