[Diy_efi] RE: Throttling intake air

Bill Washington bill.washington at nec.com.au
Thu Jan 16 22:46:21 GMT 2003

--===============87952875641833828==

--------------090301010409070108060006

Gents,
    Some of thoughts and questions:
1. An intake air throttle before the compressor will reduce intake air
pressure to the compressor, thus reducing the load/work it is doing at
any part throttle position, therefore at any given exhaust airflow it
will be spinning faster - does this sound logical?
2. Does opening the wastegate cause the turbo to spool down quickly?
3. Has anyone considered a variable flow restrictor in the exhaust
immediately after the turbine instead of a wastegate?  Here backpressure
through the system would reduce intake airflow and consequently fuel
delivery. This would be a little like the jacobs brakes used on trucks,
only in a different location and progressive. Obviously may be difficult
to implement due to the environment - temperature etc, although I
suppose not all that different from a wastegate - in which it would have
to operate, but it could also have some useful side benefits - emergency
engine brake - I heard  of one situation where a turbo diesel had the
oil seal in the compressor let go, the engine was running - over
speeding - on its own oil and could not be stopped (Diesels have no
intake air restrictors, speed/power is controlled purely by quantity of
fuel delivered, and this one had plenty without the injectors - its own
lubrication)! I believe the vehicle and engine were destroyed,
fortunately the driver survived.

Regards
Bill W