[Diy_efi] RE: Throttling intake air

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 20 06:43:06 GMT 2003

At 09:55 AM 17/1/2003 +1100, you wrote:
>1. An intake air throttle before the compressor will reduce intake air
>pressure to the compressor, thus reducing the load/work it is doing at
>any part throttle position, therefore at any given exhaust airflow it
>will be spinning faster - does this sound logical?

Not necessarily because the turbine is also doing less work due to
less exhaust flow, classic direct linked negative feedback. Though
your important point is the inlet comp is doing less work, my only
worry is the comp oil seals would have to handle opposite pressure
across them from normal operation, i'd therefore prefer to just
move the normal TB plate which is normally after the comp.

>2. Does opening the wastegate cause the turbo to spool down quickly?

Well we know it spools down and it seems to be fairly quick but its
not clear by how much or how quickly, one day when I get my turbo
speed sensor going then I'll know a little more.

On your last para below, this reminds me of a straight 6 diesel on
a boat in Malaysia someone once told me about. It hadnt been working
for several years but the engine got started after a little difficulty,
seemed ok, then it was shut off, or rather they closed the fuel line
expecting it to shut down but it only slowed a little then sped up
burning its own crankcase oil, the two Malay operators at first
thought it was some ghost - they didnt know the crank oil was
burning. So to stop it they stuffed a Kopra bag into the inlet,
at which point it slowed down, swallowed the bag and promptly
spat it out the exhaust. At this point that was enough to jog
the engine into even more speed and its rpm rose way over its
limit sounding like it was threatening to explode. The senior
operator had 'some' presence of mind to remove his pants and
sit on the air intake at which point it finally slowed to a
stop whilst the operator grimaced in pain. Fortunately there
wasnt enough vacuum to remove his intestines <phew> I wouldnt
care to guess what could have happened if he'd had his army quota of
baked beans the day before...

rgds ~`:o)

mike