[Diy_efi] WI, methanol, and corrosion

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 29 04:39:07 GMT 2003

At 04:11 PM 23/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>so just how much water to you need to cool 30 lb/min of air at 270 degrees
down
>to something reasonable?? that is approximately a 2 liter with 20 lbs of
boost
>and no inter cooler at 6500. A head start is a typical inter cooler will
bring
>it down to 130.. Seems like a lot of BTU's to me.

Water is approx a million times better capacity than air for holding
ie Absorbing heat (mass for mass), so you dont need a large amount
of water - but it helps if the water temperature starts out quite
low, such as chilled by a peltier device.

Plus, adding Methanol reduces the viscosity vs plain water hence
should get smaller droplet sizes and allows chilling to below
0 deg C etc etc

rgds

mike