[Diy_efi] Speed-density vs. MAF/MAP...

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 29 19:36:05 GMT 2003

>From my thoughts and reading, I had always been under
the impression that it made more sense to use
speed-density for SMALL throttle openings and lower
engine speeds, as MAP sensors bounce around at small
airflows on 4-cyl. engines (and they take time to
respond, I understand), and a TPS would be far more
sensitive in terms of recording changes in load...
And that at high engine speeds/WOT, a TPS was rather
insensitive, but the airflow was sufficient and steady
enough to get a good reading from a MAF/MAP.

But I was doing some reading for the book I am
writing, and I see Kawasaki does it exactly BACKWARDS,
on two different systems made by two different
manufacturers (Mitsubishi and Denso).  They use
MAP/IAT for SMALL throttle openings and low engine
speeds, and speed-density (TPS + RPM) at HIGHER engine
speeds and larger throttle openings.

Am I missing something fundamental here?  Or is this
really as ass-backwards as it looks to my eyes?

Someone tell me I'm being a dumbass.  ;)

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |