[Diy_efi] Design of a simple LPG injection system

Lea and Peter Sterling pjlea at tpg.com.au
Wed Jan 29 21:31:56 GMT 2003

My name is Peter Sterling and I am in Australia. I am working on a
concept of using an interceptor to alter timing signals from the ECU and
control a large single LPG injector. I propose to start on petrol and
once warmed up  switch to LPG. The idea is to make a simple and
inexpensive system to replace venturi type LPG systems.

It seems that several types of modern vehicles have a lot of problem
with backfiring on LPG and detroying both the airflow meter and the air
filter box. This seems to be - on the surface - more common with wasted
spark systems. Could it be a product of maintaining the standard petrol
timing map without interception and remaping for LPG.

I am looking at positioning the injector just prior to the thottle body
- mounted in a machined adaptor ring. Tuning would be by using a wide
band oxy sensor calibrated for LPG.

I assume that various LPG discussions have taken place on the site over
the years and I am currently searching the achives to look for info. If
there is other important information I need specific to this project can
anybody direct me there please.

Is there anyone else on this site interested in discussing how one might
get such a system up and running within 12 months.

By the way I have a good friend who managers the quality assurance
laboratoties for BOSCH Australia. If you are after info on Bosch ECU's I
may be able to get some info from him.

Regards
Peter Sterling