[Diy_efi] WI, methanol, and corrosion

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 30 23:44:08 GMT 2003

From: "Greg Hermann" <bearbvd at mindspring.com>

>> You have to consider the partial pressures to make sense of it.
>>
>> Because of the huge heat of vaporization, the water vapor doesn't take up
>> nearly as much space as it saves by cooling the air.
>>
>> You've GOT to realize that the pressure drop through the IC translates
>into
>> some expansion (and additional cooling, but THAT'S another story !!)  of
>> the air, too.
>>
>> Compressible flows are _FUN_ to deal with !! :-)
>

>Okay, I'll try to simulate it somehow in an attempt to understand it more.
>Anyway, your explanation leaves me with a question: why one onf the biggest
>name in motorsports, one with "unlimited" R&D and resources,  is using an IC
>and port WI if there is some free lunch in not using one and injecting water
>earlier?
>
>--Axel

Axel, I believe you are a damn bright guy--and yet, you are having trouble
understanding it.

Mebbe those "unlimited" R & D resources aren't any brighter than you are !! :-)

Hell, I haven't even found a reasonable discussion of how the latent heat
of vaporization of water and/or alky act to make the in-cylinder
compression look more nearly isothermal than adiabatic in Obert's book, and
I think we can all agree that he is a damn bright guy !!

Greg