[Diy_efi] 4G63 (1st generation) knock sensor

Grant Beaty gbeaty at ufl.edu
Fri Jan 31 07:55:28 GMT 2003

Does anyone know if the 1G DSM knock sensors are of the filtered variety?
That is, the kind that only responds to one specific frequency (the knock
frequency, hopefully), or the kind that is a normal mic and transmits all
noises? I know the 2nd gens are different.

The alternative (from what I understand) is a sensor which is a normal
microphone, but the ECU does FFTs on it to filter out the signal.

>From what I've heard the 1G DSM sensor may in fact be the filtered variety,
in which case it might be able to be used on a Supra (same bore and block
material at least). Currently affordable stand alones simply look for peak
amplitude on the Supra's unfiltered knock signals, while the stock ECU does
FFTs.

Damn, can't wait for ion sensing.

Thanks for any help,
Grant Beaty