[Diy_efi] Compressor "surge ring"

Mark flamindakman at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 31 15:44:52 GMT 2003

--===============06720934948334234==

--0-6255282-1044028714=:11063

I'm not entirely positive on this, but thought I'd throw it out there in case it helps ... It looks to me that it may be just that (an 'anti-surge' ring) ...  I think it is just a venturi type of restriction aimed at increasing the incoming air velocity, resulting in an increased stangnant pressure and an increased Net Postive Suction Head (NPSH) .. resulting in less surge. .. the downside is that it is a restriction in the intake.  I think a better method of thwarting intermitent surge is to utilize an upstream intake plenum.
Again, I'm just taking an educated guess on this and could be wrong.
Regards,
Mark
 Grant Beaty <gbeaty at ufl.edu> wrote:In the interest of turning this into a DIY_TURBO list ;) (The out-of-print
books on turbos I've ordered still haven't gotten here...)

Anyone ever see something like this:
http://www.dsmtimes.org/images/products/fp305.jpg

Someone at Forced Performance (DSM turbo maker, 2L engine) mentioned they
needed this to prevent surge at boost >= 15 psi, at RPMs > 5000.

Does anyone know exactly how this works, and if there are any drawbacks?

Thanks for any help,
Grant Beaty

--0-6255282-1044028714=:11063

<P>I'm not entirely positive on this, but thought I'd throw it out there in case it helps ... It looks to me that it may be just that (an 'anti-surge' ring) ...&nbsp; I think it is just a venturi type of restriction aimed at increasing the incoming air velocity, resulting in an increased stangnant pressure and an increased Net Postive Suction Head (NPSH)&nbsp;.. resulting in less surge. .. the downside is that it is a restriction in the intake.&nbsp; I think a better method of thwarting intermitent surge is to utilize an upstream intake plenum.
<P>Again, I'm just taking an educated guess on this and could be wrong.
<P>Regards,
<P>Mark
<P>&nbsp;<B><I>Grant Beaty &lt;gbeaty at ufl.edu&gt;</I></B> wrote:
--0-6255282-1044028714=:11063--