[Diy_efi] PC-laptop based efi

Alexei Pavlov alexis.pavlov at st.com
Mon Jul 7 12:29:17 GMT 2003

Hi,

The idea isn't new and I have heard about race cars having such setup.
I'm convinced that if you take care to turn off all Bios/Dos/Windows
ITs you can build a really performant system, as Intel/AMD are fast
enough to do everything by software, except the basic timer step
(there is one timer channel you can use for this basic time step).
The main laptop problem for such applications is a fast interface.
PCMCIA interfaces are rare and probably expensive.

If you plan using laptop just to supervise an embedded microcontroler,
it's what you can get with any existing programmable ECU. No need
to invent the wheel.

Alexei