[Diy_efi] Venturi effect crankcase breather

Ne14RoxCJ at aol.com Ne14RoxCJ at aol.com
Wed Jul 9 07:41:51 GMT 2003

In a message dated 7/8/03 11:56:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
espresso_doppio at yahoo.com writes:

> lowering the pressure will only egxacerbate this
> problem.

So how come the engineers have found otherwise?
Doesn't make sense to me.  You're saying the exact
opposite of the research I've seen.

My visualization of this involves my coil-over Sway-Away shocks with their
remote reservoirs. To reduce oil areation, we apply 120-150 psi of nitrogen to
the piston of the reservoir. This places the oil under that same pressure. If
oil areation were solved by a vacuum, then all of those desert racers, monster
trucks, rock-crawlers, indy-cars, etc. have got it severely wrong. I'm not
convinced that I should pull a vacuum on my shock reserviors (as if it were even
possible). My classes in fluid dynamics taught me this, but it helps to have
actual applications to SEE the relationship. Feel free to cut into ANY shock
absorber to prove this, but use extreme care since there WILL be a very
high-pressure stream of oil squirting you in the eye. Hope this is helpful.

Beau